What is the Unemployment Insurance Fund? The fund offers short-term financial assistance to workers when they become unemployed or are unable to work because of illness, maternity or adoption leave. The fund also assists the dependants of a contributing worker who has died.
The Unemployment Insurance Act and Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act apply to all employers and workers, but not to:
- those working less than 24 hours a month for an employer
- public servants
- foreigners working on contract
- workers who get a government old age pension
- workers who only earn commission
Domestic employers and their workers are included under the Act since 1 April 2003.
Workers pay 1% of their salaries every month. Their employers contribute a further 1%.
It is the employer’s responsibility to deduct the worker’s contribution from their salary (excluding commission earnings) and pay it to the fund along with their contribution.
The employer is also responsible for making sure that all employees are registered with the UIF. If an employee has been registered and the contributions are paid, then that employee will be able to claim from the fund. The employee does not need a card or any other proof that they have contributed to the UIF.
Foreigners who are permanent workers qualify for UIF, and employers must also register foreigners with the fund.
Common user problems on ufiling
- Can I claim UIF online?
- What is the maximum UIF payment?
- When can you claim UIF?
- Can I claim UIF if I resigned?
- Who must pay UIF?
- How long does UIF take to pay out after signing?
- Does UIF pay lump sum?
- Do directors pay UIF?
- Why is my UIF claim rejected?
- Can I claim UIF if I retire South Africa?
- Are you allowed to resign with immediate effect?
- Can I claim UIF if my husband died?
- How much UIF will I receive?
- Is UIF taxable?
- Is UIF calculated on gross or basic salary?
- How long does maternity benefit take to process?
- How many months does UIF pay for maternity leave?
- How is UIF calculated?
- What happens to my UIF contributions if I resign?
- What forms are needed to claim UIF?
- How do I register for UIF?
- What is the retirement age in South Africa?
- Does UIF expire?
- Is UIF calculated before or after tax?
- Is UIF paid on overtime?
- Does bonus have UIF?
- When should I apply for maternity pay?
- How does maternity leave pay work?
- Can I claim UIF after 2 years?