University of Pretoria NSFAS details 2024
Please note that there is a new application process for financial aid for the 2024academic year.
UP bursaries and loans:
- Applications must be submitted through the UP Student Portal or www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding. Applications are open from 4 August 2024 to 31 October 2024. No late applications will be accepted.
On 1 August 2024, NSFAS will open central applications for students who require financial assistance. There are two cycles for application:
- 1st Cycle: 1 August to 30 November: Students entering university for the first time in 2024, including 2024 matriculants;
- 2nd Cycle: 1 September to 30 November: All university students who were not funded by NSFAS in 2024.
For applications and comprehensive information please visit www.nsfas.org.za. Applications close on 30 November 2024.
Students who are already funded for the 2024 academic year should not apply, as NSFAS already has their information.
|1 August of the year preceding studies
of the year preceding studies
Tel: 0860 067 3276
Note: NSFAS IS NOT a bursary scheme. It is a study loan from government of which a portion may be converted to a bursary based on excellent academic achievement. See detail about this loan under LOANS section above.
If you are:
- still at school and figuring out how to fund further studies, or
- currently studying and needing funds to further your studies, then you need to apply for a NSFAS loan on their website, www.nsfas.org.za before 30 November 2024.
- NSFAS is a government loan scheme to assist financially needy, but academically deserving students. These loans are available for all fields of study at a low interest rate.
- Loans are available to South African citizens who are engaged in full-time undergraduate study to obtain a first tertiary educational qualification, who meet the criteria as determined by NSFAS.
- Loans are not guaranteed and are awarded subject to the availability of funds.
- The loan does not accrue interest during your period of study. The loans are only repaid after studies have been completed or discontinued.